Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Australia is a country that attracts more than many visitors in a year. The purpose of the visit could change from business to professional to educational. But the most prominent reason for the vacation is tourism. This is why; the guide on 88 days farm work VISA is beneficial to most of you who are planning to visit Australia.
If you are getting a permanent residency in the country, this might not be the case. But if you are willing to travel in this massive island, then this article is definitely for you.
Table of Contents
What is 88 days farm work VISA for a backpacker?
The 88 days backpacker VISA is a rule that has been laid to provide seasonal work to the farmers. The backpackers in Australia almost always apply for a second year in the country and you may seek Australian Visa advice if you were not sure of the current requirements. The 88 days, or the three months working rule, is a compulsory segment in extending your working holiday VISA.
88 days farm work Australia
There is a set of specific work that is considered eligible. And there is a unique way of calculating the 88 days as well.
Therefore, if you are really dreaming of staying a little longer, you will have to work hard. And on this 88-day VISA guide, we shall guide you through A – Z in it!
How are the 88 days calculated?
There is a unique way to calculate your 88 days when applying for the second working holiday VISA.
You will have to work 88 full working days. In Australia, a working day is considered seven to eight hours. So, if you work less than seven hours, it will not be an entire day. The number of hours per week is usually 35 to 40 hours.
Are you trying to calculate the total number of working days per week to get an 88 day farm work VISA? You will have to consider it in the following way.
“Say that you work on a farm for seven hours for five days a week. This will be considered as you worked for five days. But say that you worked five hours, seven days a week. This would also be worth five working days only.”
What type of farm work is suitable?
When it comes to farm work, you literally have to work in the agricultural industry. You can do any task such as harvesting, cultivating, and etc.
Given below is a full set of industries that are considered eligible to apply for the 88-day VISA:
- Plant and animal cultivation
- Harvesting, picking fruits or other cultivations
- Pruning, and trimming in vineyards
- Maintaining crops
- Cultivating or propagating plants
- Maintaining animals to sell
- Immediate processing of animals
- Manufacturing dairy products
- Fishing and pearling industry
- Working in activities that are directly associated with fish or other species
- Businesses that are directly involved in culturing pearl or pearl shells
- Tree farming and felling
- Planting and tending to trees
- Working in plantations or forests to be felled
- Felling trees
- Transporting trees or parts of trees felled in farms or in forests
- Coal mining
- Oil extraction
- Gas extraction
- Construction material mining
- Mining support services in sites
- Residential and non – residential building construction
- Heavy and civil engineering construction activities
- Land development
- Site preparation services
- Other construction activities and services
Why should you get the 88 days farm work VISA?
There are many reasons as to why you should get the 88-days VISA. Say that you have not travelled quite enough in the country. Or that you are currently lacking some money. This is the best way to get both.
Being a backpacker in any country is not an easy task. But in Australia, there are separate regions with farm work. These are especially reserved for backpackers.
With this, you get the chance to meet new friends, as well as obtain 88-days VISA with ease.
How to find farm work in Australia?
What are the rules when getting the 88 days of farm work?
- There are a few rules that you have to consider when working for the 88-days VISA.
- The first is that you need to cover 88 days. There is no wavering off of days.
- You should also be careful about how the sick leaves are counted by your employer. If it is being paid, your day will be counted, but if not, you will have to cover it up.
- There is no overtime working to cover up for two days. If the standard of the industry is seven hours, it should be seven. You working for fourteen hours will not be considered as two days.
- Working for several employers in a single day will not be counted as multiple days.
- You must at least earn $17.70 per hour. This is the minimum legal wage before tax.
- You need to keep all your records, payslips and other details with you.
- Also, make sure that you have both your and your employer’s tax file numbers.
Is it safe to work on a farm for 88 days?
People say many things when it comes to working in Australia for 88 days farm work VISA. The safety is actually in your hands. You have to consider the possibility of all kinds of harassment and research well.
Ask from the fellow backpackers. That is the best way to find which the best is. Also, consider the weather patterns. Australia could be safe in many ways but from the extreme weather changes. The scorching sun can make your trip unpleasant.
Can I earn from working on a farm for 88 days?
Of course, you can! One preliminary requirement is that you are being paid the proper wage set by the government. Even with the tax, you will be able to earn and save a decent amount of money when working on an Australian farm for 88 days farm work VISA.
If you can make sure that you select a proper place, this will not be a problem at all. Assure that your farm has a good history with backpackers. Make sure that there has been no record of routine underpayment or financial exploitation.
farm work in Australia
What are the Australia farm work hostels?
There are farms specially dedicated to the backpackers looking for 88-days VISA working.
Though there are absolutely numerous sets of farms, you should make sure that you select the best.
Given below is a set of the best locations for Australian farm work. These places offer the best views and the best weather conditions.
- Atherton tablelands in Queensland
- Bowen in Queensland
- Ayr in Queensland
- Stanthorpe in Queensland
- Griffith in New South Wales
- Mildura in Victoria
- Tamar valley in Tasmania
- Margaret River in Western Australia
These places have the best work that you can do, with proper payment. Finding a hostel in Australia with farm work is not hard. But finding a suitable location to fit your choice will be a bit tough. So, the best way is to consider one in the above areas.