A Professional Year Program is a formalized career development program for international students who have graduated from an Australian university that combines classroom training and hands-on experience. A PY Program is open to any student who has graduated from an Australian college or university. This program would assist international students in pursuing a career in Australia and gaining valuable experience in the Aussie competitive job market. Currently, the program is available in three specializations: engineering, information technology, and accounting.
This article will specifically investigate the PY Program in Accounting. As a result, if you have recently graduated or are in the final year of your accounting degree in Australia, read this post all the way to the end to learn more about the Accounting Professional Year Program.
Table of Contents
Before delving deep into the various facts associated with the accounting PY Program, let us understand what this program is all about.
The accounting PY Program, also known as SMIPA, has been created and designed by CPA Australia, the Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand, and the Institute of Public Accountants. Additionally, the course is approved by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA).
International students with an Australian accounting degree and at least two years of study in Australia are eligible for the course. This course will provide participants useful industry experience in an approved Australian workplace.
The accounting PY Program is divided into 44 weeks of training sessions, with 32 weeks of classroom study and a 12-week internship placement. For 485 visa holders, the accounting PY Program is accepted as a pathway to permanent residency under the general skilled migration (GSM).
In addition, if you successfully complete this course, the DHA may award you an extra 5 points under the GSM points test.
If you plan to enrol in the accounting PY Program, here is the eligibility list.
- Be international graduates between the ages of 18 and 45.
- Completed graduation with any full-time (2-years) Accounting related degrees from an Australian education institution.
- Possess a current Academic, or General IELTS score of 6.0 in each band is required. In lieu of IELTS, candidates may submit a PTE score of 50 in each band or an equivalent score from TOEFL, iBIT, or Cambridge Advanced English.
- Possess a 485 visa with a minimum validity of 12 months.
- Have your skills evaluated positively by one of the Professional Accounting Bodies.
- Conduct a pre-enrolment face-to-face interview with an authorized Provider.
If the candidate is on a student visa, they must have finished their primary course of study before beginning the accounting PY Program. They must also show proof of having applied for a 485 visa or bridging visa and a valid IELTS score of 6 in each band (or equivalent test).
Participants with permanent residency or candidates with other visas with full work and study rights may also be accepted for the course. You can learn more about the eligibility for pursuing the accounting PY Program here.
As previously stated, the accounting PY Program lasts 44 weeks and includes classroom instruction as well as an internship program. The following are the program’s specific components.
It consists of seven courses, as well as workshops and seminars. It is offered by an accredited education provider in Australia. It intends to provide the requisite training and knowledge for accounting roles in Australia’s professional landscape.
Work Integrated Learning Placement
The accounting PY Program also covers a 12-week-long internship program. The internship program assists students in putting their learning into practice. It also teaches them communication skills and peer-to-peer professional relationships.
The first question frequently arises as to why to undertake the accounting PY Program in the first place. So, here are the top benefits of the accounting PY Program that make it worthwhile to pursue.
- Avail of suitable accounting internship opportunities in Australian companies.
- Learn about the Australian workplace in detail.
- Get a boost to apply for the Australian PR visa.
- Get awarded by extra 5 points under the GSM points test.
If you wish to learn more about the benefits, please refer here.
Here is a list of approved institutes that offer accounting PY Program in Australia.
- Australian Technology and Management College (ATMC): Melbourne and Sydney
- Indus Institute: Brisbane, Canberra, Hobart, and Toowoomba
- Monash Professional Pathways: Melbourne
- Navitas Professional: Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Darwin, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth, and Sydney
- Performance Education: Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, and Sydney
- Stanley College: Adelaide and Perth
- TOP Education: Sydney
So, this was the detail regarding the accounting PY Program. If you are keen to develop a career in accountancy in Australia and apply for a PR visa, the accounting PY Program could be the most suitable option. And if you wish to learn more about the course, its eligibility, and required documents, do not hesitate to visit us here.
Contact a Migration Agent in Sydney to get free advise today!