This is a permanent visa that allows an elder person to visit and stay in Australia, permanently, if they rely on a relative living in Australia for financial support.
Obligations for the 838 relative visa applicant
To avail of this category of visa, there are certain requirements that you will need to fulfil. The lists are given below.
- Stay Duration– The stay duration under this subclass of visa is permanent.
- Visa Cost– The cost of this subclass starts from AUD 6,415.
- Things you must/ need to have: To avail of this visa you must-
- Be inside Australia
- Not in immigration clearance, when you apply for this visa and when your application is in the process of being approved
- Be sponsored by your relative or your relative’s partner
- Activities in Australia you can undertake: With this category of visa you can-
- Migrate to Australia as a permanent resident
- Work and Study in Australia
- Enroll in Medicare
- Sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
- Apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible
- Travel to and from Australia for 5 years from the date of your visa grant
- What is the minimum age to apply for this visa?
To apply for this 838 relative visa, you must be old enough to receive the age pension in Australia.
2. Do I need to be dependent to avail of this visa?
Yes, it is essential that you must have been dependent on your relative in Australia for basic needs like food, shelter, and clothing for at least the last 3 years before you apply for the visa.
Also, you could be dependent on your relative due to a disability that prevents you from working.
3. Is having a sponsor mandatory?
Yes to avail of this visa, you must be sponsored by an eligible relative or a relative’s partner. Also, your sponsorship should be approved by the officials.