This is a permanent visa for the parents to settle in Australia. Subclass 864 allows parents of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen, to move to Australia on a permanent basis.
Obligations of Contributory Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 864)
To avail of this category of visa, there are certain requirements that you will need to fulfil. The lists are given below.
- Stay Duration– The stay duration under this subclass of visa is permanent.
- Visa Cost– The cost of this subclass of visa starts from AUD 47,755.
- Things you must/ need to have: To avail of this visa you must-
- Have a child who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen
- Be sponsored
- Meet the balance-of-family test
- Be old enough to receive the age pension in Australia
- Not have already applied for or hold a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 870) visa when applying for this visa
- Have an Assurance of Support
- Meet all visa conditions
- Obey all Australian laws
- Activities in Australia you can undertake: With this category of visa you can-
- Stay in Australia on a permanent basis
- Work and study in Australia
- Enrol in Medicare
- Travel to and from Australia for 5 years
- Apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible
- Sponsor your family members to come to Australia
FAQs of (Subclass 864) Contributory Aged Parent visa
- Do I need to meet the balance-of-family test to avail of the Subclass 864 visa?
Yes, to avail of this subclass of visa you must meet the balance-of-family test. You meet the balance of family test if:
- At least half of your children and step-children are eligible children, or
- There are more eligible children living in Australia than in any other single country
To learn more please see examples of how the balance-of-family test is applied.
2. Can I hold any previous visa at the time of applying for this subclass of visa?
If you have already applied for or hold a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (subclass 870) visa, you cannot apply for Subclass 864 visa.
3. What is the minimum age to apply for Subclass 864 visa?
To apply for this visa, you must be old enough to receive the age pension in Australia.