This is a temporary visa meant for the parents to come and stay in Australia for up to 2 years. Subclass 173 allows the parents of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen, to move to Australia and stay here temporarily.
Obligations for the Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa Subclass 173
To avail of this category of parent visa, there are certain requirements that you will need to fulfil. The lists are given below.
− Stay Duration– The stay duration under this subclass of visa is 2 years.
− Visa Cost– The cost of this subclass of visa starts from AUD 31,930.
− Things you must/ need to have: To avail of this visa you must-
- Be sponsored
- Have a child who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen
- Meet the balance-of-family test
- Not have already applied for or hold a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 870) visa when applying for this visa
- Meet all visa conditions
- Obey all Australian laws
− Activities in Australia you can undertake: With this category of visa you can-
- Live in Australia for up to 2 years
- Work and study in Australia without government support
- Enrol in Medicare
- Apply for a permanent Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143)
- Include your family members to come to Australia
FAQs of Subclass 173 Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa
- Is it essential to meet the balance-of-family test?
Yes, to avail of Subclass 173 Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa you must meet the balance-of-family test. You meet the balance of family test if:
- At least half of your children and step-children are eligible children, or
- There are more eligible children living in Australia than any other single country
2. Do I need to have a sponsor for Subclass 173 visa?
Yes, to apply for Subclass 173 visa, you must be sponsored by an eligible sponsor. You can be sponsored by your child. But if your child is under 18, you can be sponsored by an eligible relative or community organisation.
3. What document do I need to sign to avail of Subclass 173 Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa?
If you are 18 years of age or older, you must have read and signed the Australian Values Statement to confirm you will respect the Australian way of life and obey Australian laws.