This is a permanent visa for the parents to settle in Australia. Subclass 143 allows parents of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen, to move to Australia on a permanent basis.
Obligations of Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143)
To avail of this category of visa, there are certain requirements that you will need to fulfil. The lists are given below.
− Stay Duration– The stay duration under this subclass of visa is permanent.
− Visa Cost– The cost of this subclass of visa starts from AUD 47,755.
− Things you must/ need to have: To avail of this 143 parent visa you must-
- Have a child who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen
- Be sponsored Meet the balance-of-family test, unless you are applying for the Retirement Pathway or hold a Subclass 173 visa
- Not have already applied for or hold a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 870) visa when applying for this visa
- Have an Assurance of Support, unless you are applying for the Retirement Pathway
- Meet all visa conditions
- Obey all Australian laws
− Activities in Australia you can undertake: With this category of visa you can-
- Stay in Australia on a permanent basis
- Work and study in Australia without any restriction
- Enrol in Medicare
- Travel to and from Australia for 5 years
- Apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible
- Sponsor your family members to come to Australia
FAQs of (Subclass 143) Contributory Parent visa
- Can I apply for Subclass 143 as a retiree?
Yes, you can apply for (Subclass 143) Contributory Parent visa as a retiree if:
- On 8 May 2018, you held or had previously held an Investor Retirement (subclass 405) visa or Retirement (subclass 410), and
- You have not held any other substantive visa between 8 May 2018 and the date you applied for the Parent visa
2. Do I need to have a sponsor to apply for (Subclass 143) Contributory Parent visa?
Yes, to apply for (Subclass 143) Contributory Parent visa, you must be sponsored by an eligible sponsor. You can be sponsored by your child. But if your child is under 18, you can be sponsored by an eligible relative or community organisation.
However, if you are applying for this visa as a retiree then you don’t need a sponsor.
3. Is it essential to have the assurance of support to apply for this visa?
Yes, to apply for (Subclass 143) Contributory Parent visa, you must be able to obtain an assurance of support to show that you will not have to rely on government assistance after you enter Australia. This assurance is also applicable for the family members who come to Australia with you on this visa.