This is a permanent subclass of visa under which a single child can emigrate from their own country to Australia to live with a relative if their parents are dead. This subclass of visa is pertinent to such children who have lost their parents and have no one to take care of them.
Obligations for the 117 visa applicant
To avail of this category of visa, there are certain requirements that you will need to fulfil. The lists are given below.
- Stay Duration– The stay duration under this subclass of visa is permanent.
- Visa Cost– The cost of this subclass of visa starts from AUD 1,630.
- Things you must/ need to have: To avail of this visa you must-
- Be under 18 years of age
- Be single and with no parent to care for them
- Be sponsored
- Have a relative who is a settled Australian citizen, eligible New Zealand citizen, or Australian permanent resident
- Be outside Australia when the application is made and when we make a decision
- Activities in Australia you can undertake: With this category of visa you can-
- Stay in Australia permanently
- Migrate to Australia as a permanent resident
- Study in Australia
- Have access to Medicare
- Apply for Australian citizenship if eligible
FAQs of (Subclass 117) Orphan Relative visa
- What is the minimum age to apply for 117 Orphan relative visa?
To apply for this visa, the child must be under 18 years old when they apply for the visa.
2. Does the child need to have a sponsor?
Yes, to avail of this visa, the child must be sponsored by an eligible sibling or step-sibling, grandparent or step-grandparent, aunt, uncle, step-aunt, or step-uncle. Also, the sponsorship must be approved
3. Is any consent required to avail of this visa?
Yes, the visa shall only be granted to a child younger than 18 years if either:
- the child has the written consent of everyone who can legally decide where they live
- the laws of the child’s home country allow them to leave their home country; or
- it is consistent with any Australian child order about the child