If you’re studying engineering, one thing you’ll want to know is if you’ll be able to find employment after completing the course. And this issue might be more important to you if you are an overseas student studying engineering in a foreign land. After completing your studies, finding work abroad is not always simple. It is not, however, improbable. All you need to know is about the most promising specialisations and the best way to get a job there.
Table of Contents
Engineers have long been known to find lucrative opportunities in Australia. This is because this country’s engineering sector is constantly expanding, offering a range of choices that provide you with the privilege of working in the specialty field of your choice. First, however, you would need to choose the right career path in engineering to benefit from the industry’s continued growth. And the PYP, or Professional Year Program in Engineering, can assist you.
A Professional Year Program is an organised career development program that combines classroom instruction and real-world experience for international students who have graduated from an Australian university.
Like other PY Programs, the PY Program Engineering is a formalised career development course created especially for engineering graduates to close the job gap in Australia. This program was established for international students with engineering degrees from Australian universities. Through this program, participants will gain valuable industry experience in a recognised Australian workplace.
The 44-week Professional Year in Engineering program is split into two sections.
12 weeks of full-time, unpaid internship at an Australian engineering company after 32 weeks of hands-on, in-person training in the classroom.
We’ve already mentioned that the PY program in engineering is a method to interact closely with the real-world Australian workplace. Young technologists can acquire all the crucial industrial details required to operate as engineers in Australia. However, we are highlighting the specific advantages this program can offer you for your convenience.
- It provides the chance to learn about Australia’s working environment and culture.
- Opportunities for internships offer practical experience.
- Aids in creating a network of peers and other experts in the sector
- Allows for free attendance at Engineers Australia events
- Aids in pursuing an engineering career in Australia
What is the Eligibility to Enroll in Professional Year in Engineering?
To apply for the PYP Engineering in Australia, you should fulfil the following eligibility criteria:
- Aged between 18 and 45 years.
- Earned a technologist or professional engineer-level engineering degree within four years of the application date.
- The course should be approved under the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
- Possess a 485 Skilled Graduate Visa with at least a 12-month validity period.
- Posses a Skilled Recognised Graduate visa 476
- If taking the IELTS, you must score at least 6.0 in each band to pass the minimum English proficiency test. PTE, TOEFL, iBIT, or Cambridge Advanced English scores are also accepted.
- Should complete a successful Migration Skills Assessment through Engineers Australia
- Own a current passport.
Note: For other requirements, please visit here.
We’d like to reiterate that the 44-week accounting PY Program consists of classroom training and an internship program. The structure of the course is as follows.
Training and face-to-face classes
The topics covered under this module include-
- effective resume writing and interview techniques
- legislative requirements for working in Australia
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Occupational Health, Safety, and Environment (OHSE) processes
It is a 12-weeks long ‘unpaid’ job-ready program that offers candidates to take a dip into the Australian work culture. In addition, students get the chance to put their theoretical knowledge into practice.
Networking and professional development
It is carried out while the student is undertaking the internship program. As part of the program, they will learn the following:
- To create a network with other professionals from the same field
- To become a Graduate Member of Engineers Australia
- Submitting the Work Placement Report
Note: Please be aware that finishing the PYP Engineering does not guarantee employment, but it will prepare you for employment in Australia. As an engineer, you’ll have the theoretical know-how and practical experience necessary to work in Australia’s professional environment.
Approved Professional Year in Engineering course providers
Here is a list of approved institutes that offer the PY Program Engineering in Australia.
- Navitas Professional: Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Darwin, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth, and Sydney
- Monash Professional Pathways: Melbourne
- Indus Institute: Australian Capital Territory, Queensland, New South Wales, Tasmania
- Engineering Education Australia: Melbourne
Unquestionably, one of the finest methods to prepare for employment in the tech sector in Australia is to take the PYP Engineering. In addition, the PY Program could be helpful if you consider applying for a PR visa in Australia. And don’t hesitate to visit us here if you want to find out more about the course, your eligibility, and the necessary paperwork.
Consult a migration agent Sydney for further advice.