The Australian education landscape is rapidly gaining popularity due to its international standard training facilities. Hence, overseas students seeking frequently find this island continent a haven for their studies. Also, this country has a diverse population and has always welcomed students from various cultures and backgrounds. However, to advance one’s career in Australia, any international student must learn formal skills and be trained in the Australian work environment. As a result, the Professional Year (PY) Program was created. It is a learning and internship system that prepares students for employment.
Table of Contents
Before we can understand how the PY Program can improve our chances of landing a job in Australia, we must first define what the PY Program is.
You may wonder why Australia is rapidly gaining popularity among international students in terms of education and career development. Aside from numerous career and growth opportunities, the Australian government provides international students with the opportunity to learn about their work environment. The PY Program was created to provide international students with various career options.
The program develops students’ professional skills and competencies. As a result, it is simple for them to integrate into the Australian work environment. This is a 44-week program that is ideal for students who want to relocate to Australia permanently. The PY Program allows students to pursue careers in IT, accounting, and engineering.
International students who have graduated from an Australian Institute in any of the aforementioned fields are eligible to apply for the PY Program. It is a combination of classroom instruction and on-the-job training.
Currently, IT, accounting, and engineering graduates can only participate in the Australian PY Program. And the Department of Home Affairs (DHS) has approved the entire programme for international students.
There are three PY programmes available. Please read the list below to gain a better understanding.
This one is for international students who have graduated from an Australian university with a bachelor’s degree in accounting. The duration of the degree course should not be less than two years.
- ACS PY program
The ACS PY Program is designed for international graduates of ICT. A bachelor’s or master’s degree in information technology from an Australian university is required.
- EEA PY program
International students with an engineering degree from an Australian university are eligible to apply for the EEA PY Program.
If you wish to learn more about these programs, please visit here.
International students seeking to settle in Australia frequently apply for admission to the PY Program. However, certain criteria must be met to participate in this program. We have listed the basic PY Program requirements for your convenience.
- Be an IT, accounting, or engineering graduate from an Australian university.
- You must be in possession of a Skilled Graduate Temporary Visa (Subclass 485).
- Your visa should be valid for the duration of your PY Program.
- When applying for the PY Program, you must be under 50.
- Engineering graduates would need to possess a 476 visa.
- You should also have valid skill assessments from a relevant professional body.
- You must have a minimum IELTS test score of 6.0 in each band.
As previously stated, the PY Program is a professionally designed program that solely focuses on preparing students for employment. It combines theoretical learning with hands-on experience in the Australian job market. However, students researching the PY Program are mostly interested in learning how this specially designed program can accomplish their migration dreams.
As a result, we are taking such students into account here. We will try to decipher the various ways in which the PY Program can help you achieve your dream of obtaining an Australian PR visa.
Currently, the programme is available in three disciplines: information technology, engineering, and accounting. There is a high demand for skilled and competent candidates in these fields. The PY Program aims to increase the employability of regionally qualified graduates by making them highly skilled in these areas. You should keep in mind that, while there are plenty of great opportunities in the Australian job market, competition is fierce. Undertaking the PY Program would provide international students with firsthand experience working in the Australian labour market. In some ways, they have an advantage when it comes to entering the real professional world.
Let us give you some examples.
- If you are an accounting graduate with an IELTS score of less than 7.0, you can use your PY Program certificate to fulfil the criteria for skills assessment.
- If you have a degree in information technology, you can substitute the PY Program for the 12-month skills assessment work experience precondition.
- As a PY Program student, you will have the opportunity to participate in an internship programme with a hosting company to gain practical work experience.
- Completing the PY Program will earn you five extra relocation points towards PR in Australia.
- You can also use the extra 5-points to compensate for lost points due to age or experience.
- If you perform well during your internship, you may be hired by the host company.
Without a doubt, the PY Program provides an excellent opportunity for international students to start their professional journey in Australia. Overseas students not only learn about the programme, but they also get to put what they’ve learned into practical application. So, if you need more information about the PY Program, please contact Australian Visa Lawyer. Our executives will assist you in enrolling in your preferred Professional Year Program.