Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
Do you love helping people or working for them that will make a positive mark on their life? If yes, then you do not have to worry about the career option best suited for you. Nursing can be a perfect fit for you as your skills and interest will match ultimately with it. Moreover, being one of the most favorable occupations for migration to Australia, it will earn you well that you can easily settle there and start your happy life. So, you should have some knowledge about the registered nurse pathway to Australian migration. In this article, you will learn about the important things that you should know before you pursue your career as a nurse in Australia.
Table of Contents
Demand for Nurses in Australia
Nursing is one of the in-demand jobs in Australia if you are planning to relocate there. The reason behind this can be the ageing of the Australian population who will find it difficult to enter the labour force. Also, ageing people will need more healthcare facilities.
This makes this profession high in demand with a good amount of pay-out. This will not only help you in pursuing your career according to your interest but will also help you to earn a handsome amount of money that is enough to settle in Australia. Nursing falls under the Skilled Occupation List. If you are looking for a registered nurse pathway to Australian migration then the following details will help you.
The Australian government categorises nursing under Medium & Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL). So, if you are capable of becoming a nurse and have incredible skills in this sector then you can become a perfect applicant to be nominated.
You can apply under the visa subclass of 186, 189, 190, 407, 485, 489, 482, 187, 494, and 491 for nursing. The assessing authority that is Australian Nursing & Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC) will assess your qualifications for the visa options.
ANZSCO code of Registered Nurse occupation
Registered Nurses provide nursing care to aged care, disable patients in hospitals, other health care facilities and the community. They work as a helping hand in surgeries, perioperative, health counselling, assisting to disabled, screening, health tests, rehabilitation, critical care, emergency and a lot more. Thus, the registered nurse pathway for Australian migration is best if you dream about settling in Australia.
The registered nurse for various categories fall under the following ANZSCO codes:
- 254412 Registered Nurse (Aged Care)
- 254413 Registered Nurse (Child and Family Health)
- 254414 Registered Nurse (Community Health)
- 254415 Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency)
- 254416 Registered Nurse (Developmental Disability)
- 254417 Registered Nurse (Disability and Rehabilitation)
- 254418 Registered Nurse (Medical)
- 254421 Registered Nurse (Medical Practice)
- 254422 Registered Nurse (Mental Health)
- 254423 Registered Nurse (Perioperative)
- 254424 Registered Nurse (Surgical)
- 254425 Registered Nurse (Paediatrics)
- 254499 Registered Nurses nec
Assessing Authority for Registered Nurse Migration to Australia and fees
ANMAC (Australian Nursing & Midwifery Accreditation Council) is the assessing authority that is willing to assess the qualifications for your visa options for Australian migration. Nursing can be a perfect career option for anyone wishing to migrate under the Australian Government’s General Skilled Migration program.
It not only helps to protect the health and safety of the Australian community but also establish high standards to educate and train people to do so. If you are keen towards the same objective as ANMAC then the registered nurse pathway to Australian migration is just perfect. Also, it is the independent accrediting authority for nursing and midwifery education under Australia’s National Registration and Accreditation Scheme.
ANMAC charges applicants (directly or through their migration agent) for proving their services. Below are the mentioned services for which the applicant is charged.
- Migration skills assessment
- Letter of Determination reissue – for change of ANZSCO code and/or addition of work experience
- The appeal of assessment decision.
Skill assessment charges for a registered nurse
You must be thinking about how much you will be charged if you choose a registered nurse pathway to Australian migration. Well, ANMAC will charge the below-mentioned fees for your assessment. You can go through this once to have an idea about the amount.
For modified and modified PLUS assessment, you have to pay $340 whereas for full assessment the cost is $515. Other service charges can include a Letter of Determination (LOD) reissue that is for $125, an Appeal of assessment decision that costs around $200 and the Administration Fee that is $50. This is to say, you have to pay a minimum amount between $715-$890.
Additional Goods and Services Tax (GST) will be added to the total amount at the time of making payment.
Remember, the amount once submitted for assessment for Australian migration cannot be refunded in any case. Also, the relevant fees will be charged if you lodge an application for a full skills assessment and later become registered in Australia or New Zealand. In addition, you have to make your payment when you complete your online application form.
Available visa categories and subclasses for Registered Nurses
It is essential to seek help from the trustable and reputed migration agent if you seek to apply as a nurse for relocating to Australia. You can choose the visa type according to your requirements.
As a registered nurse, you can choose any of the following visa subclass options for Australian migration:
- Subclass 186 – permanent visa for skilled foreign workers
- Subclass 187 – regional sponsor visa for skilled foreign workers
- Subclass 189 – skilled Independent visa which for applicants who wish to live and work anywhere in Australia.
- Subclass 190 – state-sponsored visa through which applicants can live and work in Australia for an indefinite period.
- Subclass 489 – a skilled regional provisional visa that is a pathway to Australian permanent residency and is valid for four years.
- Subclass 407 – training visa
- Subclass 485 – temporary graduate visa that allows the applicant to do graduate work
- Subclass 491 – skilled regional provisional visa for state or territory nominated and family-sponsored
- Subclass 489 – skilled regional provisional visa for state or territory nominated
- Subclass 482 – skilled employer-sponsored regional provisional for an employer-sponsored visa
Remember, subclass 189, 190, and 489 are point-based skilled migration visas. This is to say, you have to score a minimum of 60 points on the Australia Immigration point test if you want to take the registered nurse pathway to Australian migration. However, the points are based on Age, Educational Qualification, Work Experience, Relevant Skills, Language requirements, and other factors.
Job role and task included as a Registered Nurse migrant
As a registered nurse migrant, you have to provide different nursing care according to the nominated occupation category you fall under. For instance, if you have selected the visa option for registered nurse (aged care) then you have to provide nursing care to the elderly in community settings, retirement villages, residential aged care facilities and health care facilities.
Similarly, as a registered nurse for Australian migration, below are mentioned some responsibilities that you will have.
- Administering medications to patients and monitoring them for side effects and reactions.
- Maintaining accurate, complete health care records and reports.
- Recording patient vital signs and medical information.
- Assessing, implementing, planning, or evaluating patient nursing care plans by working with healthcare team members.
- Administering non-intravenous medications.
- Prescribing assistive medical devices and related treatments.
- Ordering medical diagnostic and clinical tests.
- Monitoring, reporting, and recording symptoms or changes in patient conditions.
- Modifying patient health treatment plans as indicated by patient conditions and responses.
Job availability and expected salaries of Registered Nurse in Australia
There are plenty of jobs available for registered nurses and you can choose the one most ideal for you. The salaries are excellent with the described work that they want from you.
Here are some examples of job opportunities offered to Registered Nurses of Australian migration. You can find numerous options according to your requirements and needs.
- The Tasmanian Health Service is seeking interest for a Registered Nurse – CFMHS vacancy with a salary offering of $66,421 – $91,807 for a year. It is a permanent full-time job of 76 hours per fortnight with a multi-disciplinary work environment and family-friendly workplace.
- Consistent with the provision of safe and quality work.
- Nursing care for clients/patients within the defined community practice area
- Effective interaction with clients and their families to facilitate continuous improvement of client care.
- John Flynn Private Hospital is currently seeking highly-skilled, compassionate Registered Nurses to support and provide exceptional care to their oncology patients on a Permanent Part-Time basis.
Salary will be $72,111 – $92,529 per annum according to the work experience. Remember, it is exclusive of penalties or allowances.
- Providing a high level of clinical care and exceptional customer service to the patients and their families.
- Assessing, planning, coordinating and evaluating the care delivery needs of each patient within your care.
- Have to work within a highly skilled, supportive team who will be able to provide the patients with dedicated, compassionate and specialised care in haematology, oncology and palliative care.
Registered Nurse Migration to Australia consultation
After reading the article, your doubts about the registered nurse pathway to Australian migration may get cleared. So, you must be thinking about how to follow the process. Therefore, we are here to help you out in this situation. If you are excited to pursue your career as a nurse and want to settle in Australia, contact us (Australian Visa Lawyer) on the provided details and get your appointment book with a registered migration agent Melbourne or a registered migration agent Sydney.
Read other related articles