This subcategory of visa allows the regional employers to source sponsored workers under skilled visas where they can’t source an appropriately skilled Australian worker, to address the identified labour shortage.
Obligations for the applicant under subclass 494 visa
To avail of this category of visa, there are certain requirements that you will need to fulfil. The lists are given below.
- Stay Duration– The stay duration under Skilled Employer-Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 494) Employer-Sponsored stream is up to 5 years.
- Visa Cost– The cost of this subcategory of visa starts from AUD 4,045.
- Things you must/ need to have: To avail of this visa you must-
- Begin your employment within 90 days of entering Australia, if you are outside Australia when we grant the visa
- Begin your employment within 90 days from your visa grant date, if you are in Australia when we grant the visa
- Work for your nominated occupation
- Work for your nominating employer in regional Australia
- Have a relevant skills assessment
- Be nominated to work in an occupation on the relevant skilled occupation list
- Have, at minimum, three years of work experience in your nominated occupation
- Be under 45 years of age, unless an exemption applies
- Meet the minimum standards of English language proficiency
- Activities in Australia you can undertake: With this category of visa you can-
- Stay and work for up to 5 years only in designated regional areas of Australia
- Travel to and from Australia for 5 years while the visa is valid
- Apply for permanent residency after 3 years from the time your visa is granted
- Include your family members in your visa application
- Add a dependent child after you submit your visa application but before it gets approved
FAQs of Skilled Employer-Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 494) Employer-Sponsored stream
- What is the minimum age to apply for this visa?
To apply for this visa you must be under 45 years of age unless an exemption applies.
2. Do I have to be nominated by an approved sponsor to apply for this visa?
Yes, you must be nominated by an approved sponsor, whose business is lawfully operating in Australia, to apply for this visa. Also, you must be employed to work in the nominated occupation located in a designated regional area of Australia.
Before you can apply for the visa, your approved employer must lodge a nomination application for you.
3. Is having a positive skills assessment essential?
Yes, you would need to have a skills assessment as part of the Skilled Employer-Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 494) Employer Sponsored visa stream, unless there is an exemption. You must undertake the skills assessment before lodging the visa application. A skills assessment obtained for a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) is not a valid assessment for this visa.