This is a temporary student visa. Students pursuing courses in Australia, under the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students, or CRICOS, can avail of the Subclass 500 Student visa to visit and participate in a course of study.
Obligations for the international students
To avail of this category of visa, there are certain requirements that you will need to fulfil. The lists are given below.
- Stay Duration– The stay duration under this subclass of visa is up to 5 years and in line with your enrolment.
- Visa Cost– The cost of this subclass of visa starts from AUD 620, unless exempt.
- Things you must/ need to have: To avail of this visa you must-
- Be enrolled in a full-time course in Australia
- Provide a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) at a full-time course registered on the CRICOS
- Hold Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), or fall in one of the exemption categories
- Be 6 years or older
- Have adequate welfare arrangements in place while you are in Australia if you are under 18 years of age
- If in Australia hold an eligible substantive visa. See, ‘Have this Visa if applying while in Australia’ in Eligibility Tab
- Work up to 40 hours every 2-week period once your course starts
- Activities in Australia you can undertake: With this category of visa you can-
- Stay and study in Australia for up to 5 years
- Bring family members with you
- Apply online in or outside Australia
- Travel to and from Australia as long as your visa is valid
FAQs of Subclass 500 Student visa
- Is it essential to be enrolled in a course of study to avail of this visa?
Yes, to avail of this Australian student visa, you must be enrolled in a course and include its evidence with your student visa application, or your application will not be valid and can’t be processed.
2. Do I need to make welfare arrangements?
If you are under 18 years of age and are willing to apply for this subclass of visa, you must have adequate welfare arrangements in place while you are in Australia. Learn more about this and welfare arrangements for student visa holders.
3. What is the minimum age to apply for this visa?
To apply for 500 student visa you must be aged 6 or older, if you are a school student (but not participating in a secondary school student exchange program).
You must also be:
- Less than 17 years old when you begin Year 9
- Less than 18 years old when you begin Year 10
- Less than 19 years old when you begin Year 11
- Less than 20 years old when you begin Year 12