This is a provisional visa. If you are a de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen, you can avail of this visa to live in Australia on a temporary basis. Also, this provisional visa is the first step towards a permanent Partner visa (subclass 100).
Obligations for the 309 visa applicant
To avail of this category of visa, there are certain requirements that you will need to fulfil. The lists are given below.
- Stay Duration– The stay duration under this provisional visa is temporary until your permanent Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100) application gets decided upon or the application is withdrawn.
- Visa Cost- The cost of this subclass of visa starts from AUD 7,715
- Things you must/ need to have: To avail of this visa you must-
- Be the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen
- Be outside Australia when you apply for this visa
- Be 18 or older, when you apply
- Have a sponsor
- Have repaid all the debts to the Australian government (if any) before the visa is granted
- Meet health and character requirements
- Activities in Australia you can undertake: With this category of visa you can-
- Stay in Australia on a temporary basis, or until your permanent Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100) application gets decided upon or the application is withdrawn
- Work in Australia
- Study in Australia (without government support)
- Enroll in Medicare
- Travel to and from Australia as many times as you want
- Attend up to 510 hours of free English language classes provided by the Adult Migrant English Program
- Include your members of the family unit in your application
- What is the right age to apply for this visa?
To apply for this visa, the minimum age must be 18. This is because usually, you must be 18 or older to be married under Australian law.
2. Do I need to have a sponsor?
Yes, to avail of this visa, you must have a sponsor at the time of lodging your application and when you are on this visa. We must approve your sponsor.
3. What is the relationship requirement for avail of this visa?
In order to avail of this visa, you must be the spouse or de facto partner of an:
- Australian citizen
- Australian permanent resident or
- Eligible New Zealand citizen