This subclass of visa is for the de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen. The partner or the spouse can avail of this visa to live in Australia temporarily and apply for a permanent Partner visa (subclass 801), as it is the first stage towards applying for the permanent visa.
Obligations for the 820 visa applicant
To avail of this category of visa, there are certain requirements that you will need to fulfil. The lists are given below.
- Stay Duration – The stay duration under this visa is temporary. Under this subclass of visa, you can stay while your permanent Partner visa (subclass 801) application gets processed or is withdrawn.
- Visa Cost – The cost of this visa starts from AUD 7,715 in most cases. However, the charges start from AUD 1,285 for Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) holders.
- Things you must/ need to have: To avail of this visa you must-
- You must be a de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen
- Be sponsored
- Be in Australia when you apply for this visa
- Be in Australia your temporary visa application gets decided upon
- Have your family members, who apply for this visa, stay with you in Australia
- Activities in Australia you can undertake: With this category of visa you can-
- Live and work in Australia, until your permanent visa (subclass 801) application are decided upon (mostly up to 15 to 24 months)
- Study in Australia while your permanent Partner visa gets processed (without government support)
- Enroll in Medicare
- Travel to and from Australia as many times as you want
- Attend up to 510 hours of free English language classes provided by the Adult Migrant English Program
- Include a dependent child or children in your application
- What relationship requirements do I need to meet to avail of this visa?
To avail of this visa, you must be the spouse or de facto partner of an:
- Australian citizen
- Australian permanent resident or
- Eligible New Zealand citizen
Your relationship can be with someone of the same or different sex.
2. Do I need to meet the set health requirement to apply for this visa?
Yes, you, and any members of the family, who apply for this 820 visa, must meet the set health requirement.
3. Is it essential to have a sponsor?
Yes, to avail of this visa, you must have a sponsor at the time of lodging your application and when you are on this visa. Your sponsor is usually your partner.