This subcategory of employer-sponsored visas allows academic or research students to come and stay in Australia take part in a research project at research or tertiary institution. The students and their families, who apply for the visa, can be granted a stay period of up to two years in Australia.
Obligations for the applicant
To avail of this category of visa, there are certain requirements that you will need to fulfil. The lists are given below.
- Stay Duration– The stay duration under Temporary Activity visa (subclass 408) Research activities is up to 2 years.
- Visa Cost- The cost of this visa starts from AUD 310.
- Things you must/ need to have: To avail of this visa you must-
- Be invited to participate in an Australian research project at a research or tertiary institution
- Have a support or sponsor to come and stay in Australia
- Apply for the visa application online
- Activities in Australia you can undertake: With this category of visa you can-
- Take part in a research project at Australian research or tertiary institution
- Stay in Australia for a period of 2 years
- Apply for the visa in or outside Australia, except for the immigration clearance
FAQs of Temporary Activity visa (subclass 408) Research activities
- Do I have to have a supporter or sponsor?
To avail of Temporary Activity visa (subclass 408) Research activities, it is mandatory to get a supporter to sponsor.
If you are planning to stay for less than 3 months and apply outside Australia, you will to a supporter. However, if you are planning to stay for more than 3 months, getting yourself a sponsor will become mandatory.
2. Is it essential to get invited to research or related program to avail of this visa?
Yes, if you want to undertake academic research activities, you will need to get invited to observe or participate in an Australian research project at an Australian tertiary or research institution.
But if you want to visit Australia for research student activities, you must be invited to undertake research related to your field of study at an Australian tertiary or research institution.
3. Do I need to meet the character requirement?
To apply for a temporary activity visa, you and your family members aged 16 years must meet the standard character requirement set out under section 501 of the Migration Act 1958.