This category of visa helps employers to hire skilled labourers from outside Australia to overcome their labour shortage issue. The Temporary Skill shortage visa (subclass 482) Medium-term stream, also called a TSS visa, helps the employers in case they can’t source skilled Australian workers.
Obligations for the applicant
To avail of this category of visa, there are certain requirements that you will need to fulfil. The lists are given below.
Stay Duration: If you get employed with this visa, you can stay up to 4 years in Australia. However, if you have a Hong Kong passport, your stay can get extended up to 5 years.
Visa Cost: The Temporary Skill shortage visa (subclass 482) Medium-term stream cost starts from AUD 2,654.
Things you must/ need to have: To avail of this visa you must –
- Be nominated to work from the list of eligible medium and long-term skilled occupations (MLTSSL)
- Have relevant work experience for at least 2 years in your nominated/ related field
- Have a skills assessment related to your occupation, if required
- Work for your sponsor only, unless you are exempt
- Meet the Minimum English language proficiency
Activities in Australia you can undertake: With this category of visa you can-
- Work up to 4 years
- Work up to 5 years if you are a Hong Kong passport holder
- Study without any government’s assistance
- Can travel to and from Australia, as many as you want, while your visa is valid
- Apply for permanent residence if you are eligible.
FAQs of Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (subclass 482) Medium-term stream
- Do I need to be nominated by an approved sponsor?
Yes, in order to avail of TSS visa Medium-term stream, your employer must nominate you to fill an occupation listed under the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List. Your proposed employer will need to lodge a nomination application for you to proceed with the whole process.
2. Is it mandatory to work for the nominated employer only?
In the case of an Australian business sponsor, you have to work in your nominated occupation and in that business or an associated entity.
In the case of an overseas business sponsor, you have to work in your nominated occupation and in that business only.
3. What work experience do I need?
To fill this category of employer-sponsored visa application you will need to have at least 2 years of relevant work experience in the nominated occupation or a related field. Also, your work experience should be on a full-time basis within the last 5 years. In some cases, part-time work is also considered.