This visa category enables employers to source skilled labourers from outside to address the labour shortage. Employers use Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (subclass 482) Short term stream, also called a TSS, to bring in labourers when they fail to source the needed skilled Australian worker.
Obligations for the applicant
To avail of this category of visa, there are certain requirements that you will need to fulfil. The lists are given below.
Stay Duration– The stay duration under this visa varies. You can choose to stay up to 2 years or 4 years if an International Trade Obligation (ITO) applies. If you are a Hong Kong passport holder, you can extend your stay up to 5 years.
Visa Cost– The cost of Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (subclass 482) Short term stream starts from AUD 1,265.
Things you must/ need to have: To avail of this visa you must-
- Have 2 years of relevant work experience in the field of your nominated occupation
- Be nominated in occupation from the eligible list of short-term skilled occupations
- Have skill assessment, if required for the applied occupation
- Work for your sponsor, unless you are exempt
- Must have the minimum level of English language proficiency
Activities in Australia you can undertake: With this category of visa you can-
- work up to 2 years or up to 4, if an International Trade Obligation (ITO) applies
- work up to 5 years if you have a Hong Kong passport
- travel to and from Australia multiple times while your visa is valid
- apply for permanent residence (conditions applied)
FAQs of Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (subclass 482) Short term stream
- What documents do I need?
There are a few important documents that you will need while applying for this category of employer-sponsored visas. You are advised to arrange the documents related to your English proficiency skills, Health assessment, Identity, Character skills and Work experience.
2. Do I have to have a skills assessment?
If your nominated occupation requires, you would need to have a skills assessment as part of the TSS visa application process. Please refer to the IMMI 18/039: Mandatory Skills Assessment—Subclass 482 Visa to know the details about this category and the type of assessment required. If eligible, you will need to undergo a skills assessment organized by Trades Recognition Australia or VETASSESS.
3. Is health insurance mandatory for a TSS visa?
To apply for a TSS visa you must maintain adequate health cover. If you fall under the category of primary and secondary visa applicants, it will be your liability to bear the healthcare costs while in Australia. Hence, health insurance can ease your financial liability. Your health insurance should cover medically necessary treatment, including transport. Some countries have reciprocal health care agreements with Australia. To find out more visit Services Australia.